It’s no secret, and not all that surprising, that time management right now can be tough. Whether you are working from home, furloughed, or just lacking the structure of your regular routine, when the whole world is off track, it makes sense that your own time management would be too. And that can cause some serious anxiety and worry. Our team has put together a list of tried and true tips to manage your time, that actually work.
Trust us, these are tips we have been using to stay on track!
- Start your day strong and finish your day strong. The middle can be meh. Set timers and add reminders to your phone calendar to help keep you on track.
–Gabby Salomone, LCSW
- Tackle one task at a time! Being home can highlight how much stuff needs to be done, which can be overwhelming, so focusing on ONE thing at a time can be helpful.
–Stephanie King, MA
- Have a specific room area where you work if you can- even if it’s just a corner and try not to spend time there when you aren’t working.
–Amanda White, LPC
- Stop overthinking and take action. You can save time by living in the present. Worrying and overanalyzing drains us of our time. Don’t think, just plunge into what needs to get done.
–Kathryn Nulf, MA, NCC
- Make a schedule or loose routine for your day to provide structure. And practice good sleep hygiene!
–Micia Harris, MA, LAC
- Give yourself permission to indulge in something you love! For example, choose one task to accomplish and say, “When I get this done, I’ve completed my task for the day & I get to indulge in ___”
-Leeor Gal, MA, MFT
- Envision how it is going to feel when the task is done. Imagine the feeling of accomplishment or ease you’ll feel when you’ve completed something you’ve been putting off.
–Maddie Quirk, LPC
- Don’t forget self-compassion. If you are burnt out and can only do the bare minimum, that’s okay! Sometimes you need to call it a night or take a break and allow yourself to have a fresh start.
–Nicole Molino, BS