Start with these principles and questions to discover how to move in a way that FEELS good! ⠀
1. How do YOU want to FEEL in your body?⠀Get specific! -Open, lengthened, stretched
-Strong, grounded, stabilized ⠀
-Free, liberated, flowing⠀
-Calm, relaxed, centered
2. Impact on Body. Do you have any injuries or is there anything you need to be aware of in terms of impact on your body?
- High impact activity includes- running, jumping, dancing, especially on a hard floor or concrete
– Low impact includes- weight lifting, yoga, swimming, cycling (where there is no impact on the body)
– Aerobic- do you want to/ can you safely increase your heart rate so your movement becomes aerobic and you are out of breath? Does this feel good in your body or would you prefer to have an even heart rate.
3. Environment ⠀
-What temp feels good to move in
-What light would feel good? (bright, dark, disco, candle-lit)⠀
-Inside or outside?
-Music, motivation or silence? ⠀
-Home, gym, studio, open space
– Are mirrors something you’d like to avoid or embrace?⠀
How connected do you want to be?
-Do you wanna be with others or want time alone?⠀
-Led by an instructor, guided or do your own thing? ⠀
– Do you want to feel like you’re on a team? Or independent?⠀
If you’re new to exercise this may feel like a mind boggling list of questions to ask yourself! I get it! Start easy and simple, listen to your bod and try different things! ⠀
Since starting something takes way MORE energy than continuing (hello activation energy), I recommend going through these prompts, writing down ideas and start experimenting!🧪 ⠀
There’s no right way to this, nor is there a specific end goal! Your wants and needs will evolve. Eventually you will learn what works for you and what things in your life lead you to crave certain types of movement. ⠀
HAPPY MOVING! Comment below and tell me your fave type of exercise!